The University of Texas at San Antonio Multi-Campus Master Plan
The University of Texas at San Antonio
San Antonio, TX
Existing: 3,694,513 gsf
Proposed: 10,863,561 gsf
Begun in 1970, the Main Campus of the University of Texas at San Antonio was planned according to the Spanish tradition for the design of cities in the New World—the 1576 “Law of the Indies.” At the center of the original campus is Sombrilla Plaza, a public space bounded by loggias and shaded by a grandly-scaled trellis. Pedestrian streets extend outward from the space to form an armature for growth. As the campus expanded, however, this cohesive urban concept was gradually abandoned in favor of a model resembling suburban sprawl. The new Master Plan by BGKA and Michael Dennis & Associates seeks to reestablish the planning principles that guided the design of the original campus, and utilize them to organize the future construction needed to “right size” the campus for its current student population and to accommodate growth.
Charter Award, Congress for the New Urbanism
Merit Award of Excellence, American Institute of Architects, Austin Chapter